Monday 15 October 2012

Rita Ora - Radio 1 Live Lounge - "What Makes You Beautiful"

Something that I think sets Radio 1 apart from all other radio stations in the UK is the variety of musical genres that the station caters for; throughout the different shows that the station produces and airs, an eclectic  mix of music is covered. But one feature that I love at Radio 1 is the Live Lounge segment that features on Fearne Cotton's show. The Live Lounge allows music artists to perform a cover version of another artist's song and put their own spin on the track and, I have to say, there have been some BRILLIANT covers.

In April I posted Jessie J's cover of 'We Found Love' by Rihanna which I have to say was simply amazing. In August, Rita Ora featured in the Live Lounge and performed an acoustic version of her hit "How We Do" and then performed a cover of One Direction's - "What Makes You Beautiful". When she announced live on air her intention to cover One Direction, I was filled with dread. Although 1D are good at what they do, their music is so generic and simple, but perhaps that's why they've had such huge success I really didn't know how Rita could make this cover her own, but she did.

I have to say, this cover is perhaps one of my favourite live lounge covers EVER. Rita has such a gravelly tone to her voice which works perfect for the stripped back cover. It really is genius. She also brings a bit of a reggae vibe into the mix when she performs on the drums with her band member. It's brilliant!

Below is the full version of the cover; watch and be amazed!


No comments:

Post a Comment